Public Transportation in Milan
The public transport in Milan is quite efficient, relatively inexpensive and has long opening hours. Nevertheless, if you are staying in the city center you will probably only need to take it to get to Milan’s center from the airport and back.
Means of transport
The main means of transport in Milan are the following:
- The Milan Metro is made up of four lines and is the longest metro line in Italy. It was established during the 1960s.
- Milan has over 80 urban buses and trolley bus lines that run through the city during the day. The city also has night buses that run every day of the week until dawn.
- Milan’s tram system was inaugurated in 1876. Presently, it consists of 20 lines and some of the trams are over 80 years old.
- Taxis in Milan are the fastest option to get from one place to another; however, they are very expensive, but when in a predicament, taxis are a good option. Information about taxi tariffs and useful tips.
Prices of Milan’s public transport system
The transport tickets and travel cards are valid for all of Milan's public transport system. Click on the following link for information on the various transport tickets and travel cards:
- One-way tickets, 24-hour or 48-hour travel cards, weekly travel cards…discover Milan’s various tickets and travel cards for its transport system.